10.6.05

Completed

During any construction on my property I'm always conscious about disruption of the land. I would like anything I build on the land to either blend-in or compliment the desert landscape.

Therefore, after finishing the stone ramp, I put attention into grading and adding a gravel base(obtained from dry river beds), to the driveway. The gravel is important to put on top of the clay driveway base. This is important not only to keep tires from getting mucky during summer rains, but over time, the gravel sets into the clay when wet and builds-up a base over time. Gravel needs to be added to the driveway as part of normal maintenance, but I've noticed that this gravel embedding itself deeper in the soil is establishing a firm base that is becoming less and less effected by rain and erosion.

No comments: